We asked Reddit - what are the best moments to ever happen to the world of sports? The results were impressive, and very passionate from fans across all leagues. We've curated the top 15 for you, counting down from 15 to the top sports moment of all-time.
15. Leicester City winning the 2016 Premier League title.
“Before the season, they were given a 0.004% chance to win the title. A $10 preseason bet would’ve paid out $50,000.”
14. Derek Redmond’s dad helping him round the track in the 1992 Olympic 400m semifinal.
“Heartbreaking… yet the perfect picture of what a father should be.”
13. Kobe Bryant scoring 60 in his final NBA game.
“I thought he’d get 50… he got 60.”
12. Muhammad Ali lighting the 1996 Olympic torch in Atlanta.
“The final torchbearer had been kept secret. When Ali showed up on screen, I burst into tears.” Ali had severe Parkinson’s after developing the disease in 1984.
11. The Red Sox coming back from 0-3 down to beat the Yankees before winning the 2004 World Series.
“The Curse of the Bambino, 86 years in the making, was finally broken.”
10. David Tyree’s helmet catch, helping the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in Super Bowl 42.
“The most clutch throw and catch you’ll ever see.”
9. Jim Valvano’s 6-seed NC State winning the 1983 college basketball National Championship.
“It was amazing at the time. 10 years later, when Jimmy V passed from cancer, it became miraculous.”
8. The US Women’s National team winning the first-ever Women’s World Cup in 1991.
“The next year saw record numbers of little girls signing up to play soccer in the US. Those are the same girls dominating the world stage now.”
7. Tiger Woods winning the 2019 Masters.
“After those back injuries, nobody thought Tiger would ever win another tournament - much less The Masters.”
6. Michael Jordan clinching the 1998 NBA title (Chicago’s 3rd straight and 6th championship in 8 seasons) with a game-winning shot — his last in a Bulls uniform.
5. Jesse Owens embarrassing Hitler at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, winning 4 Gold medals.
“Hitler refused to shake Jesse’s hand. He couldn’t stand that a non-German, especially a Black non-German, had dominated his Games.”
4. Kerri Strug landing a vault with torn ligaments in her ankle at the 1996 Olympics.
“Strug somehow managed to land a 9.712, guaranteeing Team USA its first team Gold.”
3. South Africa’s Springboks winning the 1995 Rugby World Cup.
“For a moment in time, this team brought together a nation divided.”
2. West Germany defeating Hungary in the 1954 World Cup Final.
“Germany would not exist today, or would certainly not exist as we know it, if West Germany had not won that game.”
1. The US defeating the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympic hockey semifinal.
“The culmination of what was going on in the world and the sheer unlikelihood that such a young, inexperienced US team could beat the USSR powerhouse makes it such a monumental victory.”