Good morning. Somehow, the Monday after the Super Bowl still isn’t a national holiday. Good news? The Sprint's here to ease you into the week.
In today's Sprint:
- 🏈 Tompa
- 🏀 Steph's masterclass
- ⚽️ Man City dominate
In 1999, which player went from working at a grocery store to the Arena Football League, to NFL Europe, to NFL MVP, and Super Bowl MVP in the same season?
- Tim Couch
- Kurt Warner
- Marshall Faulk
- Jake Plummer
A League of His Own
Incredibly, the NFL played all 269 regular season and playoff games. Some of the craziest moments?
- The Broncos playing without a QB
- Derrick Henry reaching 2,000 yards rushing
- DeAndre Hopkins catching the Hail Murray
Then came the biggest game of the year...
(15-5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 31 vs. (16-3) Kansas City Chiefs 9
Game recap: Tom Brady (201 yds, 3 TDs, SB MVP) quarterbacked an extremely efficient offense. Leonard Fournette (135 tot yds) aka Playoff Lenny continued to dominate and Gronk went from hosting a music festival during the Super Bowl last year to scoring two TDs this year.
Meanwhile, the loss of Chiefs' left tackle Eric Fisher was more important than anyone realized. Patrick Mahomes could be seen running for his life after every snap...
Top performance: The entire Tampa Bay defense, which kept a Patrick Mahomes-led offense to under ten points for the first time in his pro career.
Todd Bowles, the Bucs’ defensive coordinator, deserves a Super Bowl MVP Award.
Zoom out: The league runs through wherever Tom Brady plays. The now seven-time Super Bowl champion further solidified his title as the G.O.A.T., and while Mahomes will have plenty of success in his career, Brady is in a league of his own.
Don’t believe us?
Most Super Bowls in NFL history:
- Tom Brady - 7
- Patriots - 6
- Steelers - 6
- Cowboys - 5
- 49ers - 5
Best commercial: It's Drake, from State Farm. Perfect balance of star power, humor, and brand recognition.
(10-14) Dallas Mavericks 134 vs. (12-11) Golden State Warriors 134
- Despite a Steph Curry masterclass (57 pts, 5 ast), Luka Doncic (42 pts, 7 reb, 11 ast) guided the Mavs to a potential season-turning win.
(18-6) Los Angeles Lakers 135 vs. (5-18) Detroit Pistons 129
- Detroit’s Jerami Grant (32 pts, 4 reb, 6 ast) continued his push for the Most Improved Player award.
- But LeBron (33 pts, 11 ast) had other ideas as he hit two step-back threes to put the game out of reach.
ICYMI: Due to the rise of LaMelo Ball, sports media has let Zion Williamson’s fantastic sophomore season (23.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg) fly under the radar. Yesterday, he broke a rim.
(12-5) Oklahoma St. 75 vs. (11-5) #6 Texas 67
- Likely number one draft pick Cade Cunningham (19 pts, 8 reb) came up clutch late to hand the Longhorns their third-straight loss in double overtime.
(12-6) North Carolina 91 vs. (7-7) Duke 87
- Duke is on track to miss the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1995.
- UNC, on the other hand, has turned it around and may crack the top-25 this week.
(5-5-3) Anaheim Ducks 2 vs. (4-5-1) San Jose Sharks 1
- The Ducks and Sharks traded shootout wins this weekend as the teams fight to catch the Avalanche and the Blues at the top of the West division.
(50 pts) Manchester City 4 vs. (40 pts) Liverpool 1
- 20-year-old Phil Foden (1 gs, 2 ast) took home the man-of-the-match as he carved up a weak Liverpool defense to put City five points clear at the top of the table.
WATER COOLER TALK
- 🏀 The New York Knicks traded for Derrick Rose, giving up Dennis Smith Jr and draft compensation.
- 🏈 Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, and Charles Woodson lead a stacked Pro Football Hall of Fame class. The biggest snub? Reggie Wayne.
- 🏈 The Bucs became the first team to win a Super Bowl with a female assistant coach. The cool part? They have two.
- ⚾ Pedro Gomez, the beloved baseball reporter, passed away at 58.
- ⛳️ Dustin Johnson coasted to his second Saudi Invitational win.
- 🥊 Cory Sandhagen’s early flying knee KO of Frankie Edgar highlighted Saturday’s UFC Fight Night.
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
Or, copy this link to send to others - sidelinesprint.com
B. Kurt Warner, who went on to play 12 NFL seasons en route to a Hall of Fame career.