Good morning. To our new readers, thank you for joining us. To everyone, here's to hoping this read is an enjoyable distraction and a solid start to your Thursday.
In today's Sprint:
- 🏀 NBA expansion
- 🙌 Jaguars' savior
- 🏈 Roger Goodell's good idea
Show Me The Money
In 2020, the NBA’s revenue fell $1.5 billion short of its projected mark. Even worse, the 2020-2021 season may result in a loss of up to $4 billion. But Commissioner Adam Silver has a plan - expand the league.
What that looks like: The league would add two expansion teams at a fee of $2.5 billion, each, to the new owners. That revenue alone would offset the losses due to COVID-19. - We’d love to see the Seattle Supersonics make a return. Where do you want to see a new NBA team? Reply and let us know!
(6-2) Orlando Magic 105 vs. (4-4) Cleveland Cavaliers 94
- There was no celebration for Orlando as they lost former number one pick, Markelle Fultz, to a torn ACL.
(6-3) Boston Celtics 107 vs. (3-4) Miami Heat 105
- Jayson Tatum (27 pts, 5 rebs, 4 ast) led his team to victory in South Beach. But the real star of the game was the Heat’s court. - real Miami Vice vibes
(7-1) Philadelphia 76ers 141 vs. (2-6) Washington Wizards 136
- Somehow, Bradley Beal’s 60 points weren’t enough to bring the Wizards a much-needed win as Joel Embiid (38 pts, 8 rebs, 5 ast) continued his MVP-caliber start to the season.
The #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs canceled their game against conference foe Santa Clara due to COVID-19 protocols at Santa Clara. The Bulldogs will now play BYU, whose Thursday night opponent also postponed. The teams square off at 8:30 PM EST on ESPN.
Preseason American Athletic Conference player of the year Caleb Mills announced his decision to enter the transfer portal. Mills was supposed to be the centerpiece of the #11 Houston Cougars this season. As a native of North Carolina, the Tarheels are the suspected leaders to land the star guard.
(10-0) #10 Michigan 82 vs. (10-3) #16 Minnesota 57
- Michigan dominated the Gophers behind Hunter Dickenson’s (28 pts, 8 rebs) monster performance.
(8-1) Louisville 73 vs. (8-2) #19 Virginia Tech 71
- Three players scored 15+ points for Louisville as they stay atop the ACC (3-0 in conference).
(4-2) #21 Duke 83 vs. (2-8) Boston College 82
- Duke took the floor for the first time in three weeks and the rust showed. Wendell Moore (25 pts, 4 rebs) barely led the Coach K-less Blue Devils to a scrappy win.
WATER COOLER TALK
- ⚽ Manchester United missed their chance to jump to the top of the Premier League table as they fell 0-2 to cross-town rival Manchester City.
- 🏈 Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence declared for the NFL Draft. The junior QB is expected to be the 1st overall pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- 🏈 Ohio State is dealing with COVID issues. Reportedly an entire team unit is in danger of missing Monday’s National Championship game against Alabama. As of today, the game will not be delayed.
- 🏈 NFL commissioner Roger Goodell proposed inviting vaccinated health care workers to watch Super Bowl LV in Tampa. - Roger Goodell with a good idea?!
- 💰 NY Governor Andrew Cuomo backed online sports betting in the Empire State. He hopes the taxes will put a dent in the $8 billion deficit caused by a tough year for the state.
- 🏒 The NHL sold the naming rights to its divisions to boost earnings after a year of low revenue. The names: Scotia (North) Division, Honda (West) Division, Discover (Central) Division, and MassMutual (East) Division. - Hopefully they keep this a one year thing.
The last NBA expansion happened in 2002. What city gained an NBA team that year?
- New Orleans
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
B. New Orleans. The Charlotte Hornets relocated to New Orleans in 2002 and became the New Orleans Hornets. Charlotte became the Bobcats but took back the Hornets name in 2014, and the New Orleans team became the Pelicans.