Happy hump day. Don’t own any GameStop stock? Neither do we.
But you know what else is going to the moon? The Sprint. If that transition made you smile, go ahead and copy & paste this link to a friend: sidelinesprint.com
In today's Sprint:
- 🏀 Upsets galore
- 🏒 Makeshift coaching staff
- 🥊 Jake Paul returns
Matthew Stafford hasn't won a playoff game since entering the NFL in 2009. How many playoff appearances does Stafford have?
Red River Rivalry
The top teams in the country -- #1 Gonzaga, #2 Baylor, and #3 Villanova -- are dominating. But after those powerhouses? Anybody’s guess.
#4 Michigan won’t play for a few weeks and the #5 spot has been a revolving door of teams, with #5 Texas losing a heartbreaker yesterday.
(10-4) #24 Oklahoma 80 vs. (11-3) #5 Texas 79
- A late push from the Longhorns fell short against Austin Reaves (23 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast) and the Sooners, who upset their second top-10 opponent in four days. This Oklahoma squad looks poised to make some noise in March.
(10-7) Auburn 88 vs. (10-3) #12 Missouri 80
- The Tigers of Auburn finally looked like a Bruce Pearl coached team, notching their first signature win of the season.
(14-3) #9 Alabama 70 vs. (5-10) Kentucky 59
- Strange sentence of the day - Alabama is a far superior basketball team than Kentucky.
On Saturday, Bama plays Oklahoma in what may be the schools’ most anticipated non-football matchup in history.
(14-0) #2 Baylor vs. (5-11) Kansas State - 9:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2
(12-4) #14 Wisconsin vs. (9-7) Maryland - 9:00 p.m. ET on BTN
On the anniversary of NBA legend Kobe Bryant’s passing, members of the basketball community shared heartfelt memories. Pau Gasol, a former teammate and good friend, shared an especially moving message.
Last night, several players seemed to have the Mamba with them on the court.
(7-9) Houston Rockets 107 vs. (3-10) Washington Wizards 88
- In revenge games against their old teams, the Rockets’ John Wall (24 pts, 2 reb, 5 ast) outdueled Russell Westbrook (19 pts, 11 reb, 7 ast) and the Wizards.
- In a tremendous bit of trash talk, Westbrook appeared to remind Wall that he was worth a first-round pick more than him.
(9-8) Atlanta Hawks 108 vs. (13-5) Los Angeles Clippers 99
- Trae Young (38 pts, 3 reb, 4 ast) and the Hawks beat the All-Star-less Clippers, proving once again that LA needs a healthy Kawhi Leonard and Paul George to compete.
Tonight's big game
(12-6) Philadelphia 76ers vs. (14-4) Los Angeles Lakers - 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN
- Arguably the two best teams in the league go head-to-head in Philly.
All Hands on Deck
With the team’s entire coaching staff out due to COVID-19 protocols, the Las Vegas Golden Knights were led into battle against the St Louis Blues by their GM Kelly McCrimmon. To be fair, he got some help from the Henderson Silver Knights’ coaching staff, the minor league affiliate of Las Vegas.
The result: The game appeared to get away from the Golden Knights early, but they fought back to force OT which ended in a 4-4 tie.
(4-0-3) Washington Capitals 3 vs. (3-3-0) NY Islanders 2
- Donning their new blue jerseys, the Washington Capitals edged the Islanders as Justin Schultz (1 goal, 1 ast) put the game-winner in the back of the net with less than 30 seconds to spare.
(4-3-0) Colorado Avalanche 7 vs. (3-4-0) San Jose Sharks 3
- The Avalanche scored a ridiculous five goals in under ten minutes. At that point, there was nothing the Sharks could do. Some would say they were a fish out of water.
Puck drops tonight
(2-3-1) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (2-3-0) Nashville Predators - 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN
- Alternate captain Patrick Kane (3 goals, 4 ast, 7 pts) aims to whip his Blackhawks into shape to make a run toward the playoffs.
WATER COOLER TALK
- ⚾ For the first time since 1960, no player was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The closest? The ever-controversial Curt Schilling. The bloody sock game should earn Schilling a spot in the Hall by itself.
- 🥊 Internet phenom Jake Paul will face retired MMA champion Ben Askren in an eight-round boxing match on April 17. Paul is a better fighter than you might think.
- 🏀 Caris LaVert underwent surgery to remove the kidney cancer discovered during a routine medical examination he underwent during his trade to the Indiana Pacers. Thankfully, he is expected to make a full recovery. The James Harden trade likely saved LaVert’s life.
- 🏀 The New Orleans Pelicans are open to trading JJ Reddick and Lonzo Ball. Coincidently, JJ hosts one of the best podcasts in sports - The Old Man and the Three. A+ podcast name.
- 🏈 Aaron Rodgers wants a new contract from the Packers. Currently, he’s the 5th highest paid QB in the league.
- 🏈 In this week’s edition of ‘Athletes Do Good, National Media Doesn’t Notice’, Deshaun Watson showed love for Houston by providing college scholarships to four local students.
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
Or, copy this link to send to others - sidelinesprint.com
A. 3. Stafford made the playoffs in 2011, 2014, and 2016.
Stat of the day: Stafford has the most passing yards of any QB without a playoff win.