Good morning. According to its latest SEC filing, Tesla added $1.5 billion worth of Bitcoin to its balance sheet. How’s this related to sports?
Athletes across the country, led by offensive lineman Russell Okung, have turned to Bitcoin over the last several years. In December 2020, Okung converted half of his $13 million salary into Bitcoin. That half of his contract may now be worth over $10 million.
In today's Sprint:
- 🏀 Not since the 60's
- 🏈 A-A-Ron
- 🏀 Uconn's dynasty
Aaron Rodgers won the third MVP of his career. Who is the only player who has won it more than three times?
- Peyton Manning
- Marshall Faulk
- Jim Brown
- Tom Brady
The new AP Poll came out and it’s the first time since 1961 that Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas are all unranked.
Even crazier? The 13 winningest programs of all time are outside the top-25.
- Gonzaga (19-0)
- Baylor (17-0)
- Michigan (13-1)
- Ohio State (15-4)
- Villanova (12-2)
Yesterday's big games
(12-5) Kansas 78 vs. (12-7) #23 Oklahoma St. 66
- After dropping out of the top-25 and struggling during the first half of this game, the Jayhawks found their footing in an impressive win over Oklahoma State and Cade Cunningham (26 pts, 9 reb).
(16-4) #4 Ohio State 73 vs. (10-10) Maryland 65
- A balanced offense (four players in double-figures) proved enough for Ohio State to take down the Terps.
#14 West Virginia (13-5) vs. #7 Texas Tech (14-5) - 9:00 ET on ESPN
The NFL annual awards show was hosted by Steve Harvey, who roasted the Patriots in his opening monologue.
MVP: Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
- Rodgers became the third quarterback ever to lead the league in TD’s while also throwing the fewest INT’s.
Offensive player of the year: Derrick Henry, RB, Tennessee Titans
- The Titans’ mauler rushed for nearly 500 more yards than anyone and led the league in rush TD’s.
- His best move? A monster stiff-arm of Buffalo Bills CB Josh Norman.
Defensive player of the year: Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams
- Donald won his third DPOY in the most controversial decision of the night.
- The snub? Steelers DE TJ Watt who outpaced Donald in sacks, tackles for a loss, INT’s, QB pressures, tackles, and QB hits.
Comeback player of the year: Alex Smith, QB, Washington Football, Team
- Alex Smith’s story is one of the most inspirational in all of sports. He overcame 17 surgeries and nearly lost his leg before returning to the field and leading his team to the playoffs.
Coach of the Year: Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
- After trying 12 coaches over the past 22 years, Cleveland finally has its guy in Stefanski.
AROUND THE LEAGUES
The UConn women’s basketball team has lost nine games over the past five seasons. Somehow, they’ve only won one National Title over that span. That may change this year.
(14-1) #2 UConn 63 vs. (15-2) #1 South Carolina 59
- Freshman phenom Paige Bueckers (31 pts, 5 ast, 6 stl) scored all nine of the Huskies’ points in OT, knocking off the top-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks.
- Bueckers became the first UConn freshman to score 30+ points three games in a row.
(16-8) Milwaukee Bucks 125 vs. (12-11) Denver Nuggets 112
- The two-headed monster of Giannis Antetokounmpo (30 pts, 12 reb) and Khris Middleton (29 pts, 8 rebs, 12 ast) was too much for the Nuggets.
Top Performers: Devin Booker (36 pts, 5 reb, 8 ast) and Lebron James (28 pts, 14 reb, 12 ast)
(6-5-3) Columbus Blue Jackets 3 vs. (7-3-0) Carolina Hurricanes 2
- Columbus C Jack Roslovic scored the game winner with less than five minutes left, getting by two defenders with a masterpiece of a deke.
NBA: Boston Celtics (12-10) vs. Utah Jazz (19-10) - 10:00 ET on TNT
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers (8-3-2) vs. Washington Capitals (6-3-3) - 6:00 ET on ESPN+
Soccer: Juventus vs. Inter Milan - 2:45 ET on ESPN+
WATER COOLER TALK
- 🎾 The Australian Open kicked off. We’ll let you know of any updates or key matches you should be aware of.
- ⚽ Manchester City plan to pursue Barcelona’s Lionel Messi this summer, which could mean one of the world’s best players joining one of the world’s best teams.
- ⚾ The MLB decided to deaden its baseballs in an effort to curb the surge of home runs hit in recent years.
- 🏈 Matt Campbell and Iowa State agreed to a contract extension through 2028.
- ⛳️ Brooks Koepka won the Waste Management Open over the weekend. But what really got golf fans excited? Seeing Jordan Spieth return to form to finish -17 and tied for fourth.
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
Or, copy this link to send to others - sidelinesprint.com
A. With four MVPs, Peyton Manning has more than Rodgers and Tom Brady (3).