99.8% of athletes never play professionally - here's what you can learn from the .2% who do.
Via Giphy

Lessons Learned From the Top 0.2% Of Athletes

Nathan Baugh, Matt Trombley
Articles

99.8% of athletes never play professionally. I’ve spent hours studying the .2% who do. Here’s what I learned:


Celebrate your teammates publicly. Derek Carr spent his post-game interview with millions watching praising receiver Zay Jones. His teammates will see this, and will run through a wall for Carr. Don't believe us? Check out the video below:


Know your role. Here's some gold from Alex Caruso: “A big reason guys get stuck in the G League... they don’t realize the position they’re trying out for. It’s like going to a job interview thinking you’re going to be the CFO, and they’re looking for someone to clean the bathrooms.”


Sales is the most important skill you can learn. DeAndre Hopkins and Kevin De Bruyne negotiated their last contracts:

  • Kevin De Bruyne: $100 million over 4 years
  • DeAndre Hopkins: $54.5 million over 2 years

Neither paid an agent a single dollar.


A great coach can make a career. Flipped: A bad coach can ruin a career. Apply this rule to managers.


What you're doing may not be the most important thing in the world. Recognize that and re-prioritize, if needed. 2x WNBA champ @ReneeMontgomery stepped away from basketball for a year. She knew she’d make a larger impact working in her community.


Working hard will not get you ahead. Focusing your time and effort effectively is much more likely to make you successful. Leo Messi walks 83% of a soccer game. The other 17% makes him the best player in the world.


“Fine” and “not bad” are the biggest enemies of exceptional. Katie Ledecky has this to say on avoiding complacency: “I approach every single race with the attitude that I can break world records. I’m going to step up and throw down.”


Take care of yourself. LeBron spends $1.5 million each year taking care of his body. Not saying you can do that, but these are free:

  • Exercising
  • Going outside
  • Eating well
  • Sleeping
Want Sideline Sprint, the best daily sports newsletter, delivered to your inbox every morning? Try it today - it's free.