Happy Tuesday! Now that the Sprint has been going out for a week, we’d love to hear your thoughts. Reply to tell us what we’re doing well or what we can improve. After all, we want to provide you as much value as possible.
In today's Sprint:
- 🏆 CFB champs
- 💸 Barstool's support
- 🏒 Hockey arrives
The Tide Rolls
This year, every college football player deserves our sincere gratitude. Without their adherence to protocols and willingness to speak up, this season would not have happened. Now, let’s get to the game everyone will be talking about.
(13-0) #1 Alabama 52 vs. (7-1) #3 Ohio State 24
The lead up: Alabama dominated all year, completing a full-slate of SEC games undefeated and boasting three (!) of the top-five Heisman vote-getters.
Ohio State had a bumpier season. With three games canceled due to COVID-19, the Buckeyes only played five regular-season games. Many questioned whether they deserved a spot in the Playoffs. But, with their resounding defeat of Clemson, they proved their mettle.
The game: Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian called a perfect game. Bama consistently got the ball to DeVonta Smith (12 rec, 215 yds, 3 TD) who burned Ohio State the entire first half. QB Mac Jones (465 yds, 5 TDs) continued to dominate even after Smith left the game with an injury.
Ohio State didn’t play their best game, but this outcome was about the coaching and talent of Alabama.
Zoom out: Nick Saban won his seventh national championship, passing Bear Bryant for the most ever as a head coach. It’s Nick’s world and we’re just living in it.
WATER COOLER TALK
- 💸 The Barstool Fund, run by Barstool Sports to provide monetary relief to small businesses during the pandemic, announced its support of the Negro League Baseball Museum. The announcement video is a must-watch.
- 🏈 The Philadelphia Eagles fired head coach Doug Pederson just three years removed from the team’s Super Bowl victory. Early rumors suggest he will be the next head coach of the NY Jets.
- ⛳ The PGA announced it is pulling the 2022 PGA Championship from the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, NJ. A new course has yet to be announced.
- ⚾ Maybelle Blair, a one-time player in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (which started during World War II and inspired A League of Their Own), is working to build a museum for the league.
With college football closing the book last night and the clock winding down on the NFL postseason, the NHL is here to fill the void. The hockey season begins tonight at 5:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. Here’s what you need to know:
A modified season
The NHL will play a shortened 56-game season (down from the normal 82). It will conclude with the Stanley Cup playoff in July.
Because of travel restrictions between the US and Canada due to COVID-19, the 31 NHL teams realigned and split into four divisions - including a seven-team, all Canadian division. Wild times, eh?
The lengthened offseason and pandemic effects brought us some new rules for this season.
- Offside rule - A player must not pass the blue line plane completely to remain onside, likely leading to higher scores.
- “Taxi squad” rosters - Each team will carry 4-6 more players than usual.
- Goalies - Teams are required to have three goalies on their roster / ”taxi squad.” No more 42-year-old dad emergency backup goaltenders.
After tonight, we’ll have hockey every night until the Stanley Cup playoffs. And at the season’s end, the NHL will form its 32nd team: the Seattle Kraken.
The NHL will form the new Seattle Kraken through a supplemental draft in July. Which team once drafted a player who didn’t exist?
- Buffalo Sabres
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Atlanta Flames
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
A. In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres GM drafted Taro Tsujimoto, a non-existent player, as part of an elaborate prank. And it fooled everyone!