Happy Thursday. We all ride electric scooters. GameStop is the hottest stock on the market. Pokemon and baseball cards are worth hundreds of thousands. Tom Brady is in the Super Bowl. The richest man in the world builds rockets.
10-year-old me would be very happy.
In today's Sprint:
- ⚽️ The top spot
- 🏀 Candace goes home
- 🏅 Florida calls its shot
Who is the most expensive Asian soccer player of all time?
- Son Heung-min
- Keisuke Honda
- Takumi Minamino
- Hwang Hee-chan
Trouble in Manchester
With Liverpool hampered by injuries and Manchester City unable to get out of its own way, the Premier League looked like Manchester United’s for the taking. Midfielder Bruno Fernandes became a cult hero, striker Marcus Rashford may be the most popular guy in England, and the club claimed the league’s top spot for the first time since 2013.
Then yesterday happened:
(8 pts) Sheffield United 2 vs. (40 pts) Manchester United 1
- Man U took 3x more shots than Sheffield, controlled the ball for 76% of the game, and still managed to lose. Ah, the beautiful game.
(33 pts) Everton 1 vs. (39 pts) Leicester 1
- In a match between two of the Premier League’s best, Leicester wasted several opportunities to win the game. A win would have put them top of the table.
- Do yourself a favor and check out this stunner from Everton’s James Rodriguez.
(22 pts) Burnley 3 vs. (29 pts) Aston Villa 2
- After a hot start to the year, Villa has lost 4 of its last 5 matches. Captain Jack Graelish called it “a game we should have got 3 points from.”
For all the results, click here.
(33 pts) Tottenham vs. (34 pts) Liverpool - 3:00 PM EST on NBCSN
- Two teams with legit title aspirations square off in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the club’s beautiful new $1.1 billion stadium. Expect fireworks from two of the world's best attacking pairs in Harry Kane / Son Heung-min and Sadio Mane / Mo Salah.
WATER COOLER - STORYLINES
Dave for Pres
The Barstool Fund, set up to aid small businesses impacted by the pandemic, is supporting over 190 businesses. Dave and the Barstool team have raised $32+ million with the help of over 200,000 people. We can’t say enough about this effort.
Check out the incredible sports-related organizations the Fund is supporting:
If called, you can support them here.
WNBA free agency begins Monday, February 1st, but one of the league’s biggest names has already agreed to a contract in principle:
- After 13 seasons with the LA Sparks, two-time WNBA MVP Candace Parker decided to take her talents to her hometown Chicago Sky.
The SEC opens the 2021 season with four Power Five matchups: LSU at UCLA, Miami vs. Alabama, and Louisville vs. Ole Miss. The big one?
Clemson vs. Georgia in a likely top-4 matchup.
Only 219 days until we get to see Heisman favorites DJ Uiagalelei and JT Daniels slinging the ball around the field. Not like we’re counting.
- Northwestern and head coach Pat Fitzgerald agreed to a *checks notes* 10-year extension, allowing the coach to stay at his alma mater through 2030.
- UCF’s Josh Heupel was named the new head coach at Tennessee. He’s got quite the clean up job in front of him...
After reports surfaced of Japan’s hesitation to host the 2021 Olympic Games this summer, Florida’s CFO volunteered the state to host instead, adding a new search result for Florida Man 1/27.
(13-6) Philadelphia 76ers 107 vs. (14-5) Los Angeles Lakers 106
- Despite a dominant performance from LeBron James (34 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast), the 76ers beat the Lakers on a fadeaway buzzer-beater from Tobias Harris (24 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast).
Off the court:
- Adam Silver announced the league will allow private equity firms to acquire stakes in its teams.
- The league’s public All-Star voting begins today at noon. Fans can submit one vote per day through February 16th. Let’s make sure Bradley Beal isn’t snubbed this year.
- The NBA G league tips-off a four-week single-site tournament on February 10th to crown its champion.
SHARE THE SPRINT
Talking sports with your friends is fun unless they have no idea what they're talking about. Make sure they're able to keep up with you by sharing the Sprint!
Or, copy this link to send to others - sidelinesprint.com
A. Son Heung-min signed with Tottenham for $30 million in 2015. The crazy part? His market value is now $99 million.